Monday, June 2, 2014

What I Learned In May


1. Taking a Vacation With Your Spouse Is Amazing. It had been 12 years since we had vacationed together and OH MY GOODNESS! My sister who lives in California came out here for a week to care for our children while Mike and I headed down to Sanibel Island, Florida.  We did all the things I dream of a vacation being: private, quiet, restful, books, good food, games, walks.  Truly a gift.

2. Being Open to Others Allows Me To See God Move.  I initiated with many people this month who were complete strangers.  A few of them were people I met when we went camping with the Boy Scouts for a weekend and some were women from my church that I invited over for IF:Table.  When you open your life with others and listen to their stories, then you see how God is lovingly at work all over the place and in such unique and diverse ways.  I was blessed to hear how He uses pain for His glory and uses the hard things to draw others in.

3. The More I Give, The More I Want to Give.  It becomes this beautiful habitual practice of seeking to bring joy and care and God's love to others in simple yet meaningful ways.  Never underestimate the power of a meal, a small gift, an act of service, an encouraging text, a prayer for another.



4. Giving Must Come From A Place of Being Filled.  I am really starting to see when I am giving out of "should" and depletion and recognize pretty quickly that I probably should have said no.  I want my love and my giving to come out of a place of overflow and grace not duty, obligation, fear or performance. And I am in tune with myself enough to know the difference.



5. Having A Plan Is Changing My Life.  I feel so much more in tune with living out my gifts and priorities and focusing on what matters most.  I feel less angsty and more hopeful.  I am soooo much closer to living my best life and not my distracted, brooding life :)

6. Brooklyn 99 is a hilarious show.  We signed up for Hulu Plus for the month just to watch the first season.  It is (mostly) clean and really really funny.  It's like a police version of The Office.

1 comment:

Kim said...

What an inspirational post! Thank you for penning those thoughts...just curious as to where you found the planning sheets pictured in your notebook? They look so helpful. Thank you!
Kim