Thursday, January 2, 2014

Open


My word for 2014.  I played around with trust and acceptance and surrender, but as I drove quiet roads to deliver a meal to a mama, OPEN came to me and I knew that was it. I have been drawn to songs with the word "open" in it for the past two months...the Avett Brothers Open Ended Life and The Brilliance's Open Up.  I like the simplicity. Four little letters that convey a lot.

Open-hearted and open-handed.  One flows from love and one flows from trust. The more I drink in His deep love and care, the more open-hearted I am with Him and others. Love begats love.  The more I trust in His sovereign goodness, the more open-handed I am with life, plans, trials, expectations. 

I want to live open to my family and friends.  I can get touchy and defensive and closed-off at times and I want to keep my heart open and soft and tender and gentle.  Relational pain can cause me to retreat and grow cynical. That is not the kind of woman I want to be. This will be the work of the Holy Spirit in me and my choosing to be open to others even when I don't necessarily feel like it.

I have also sensed that I am on the edge of some change.  Don't know what exactly or even how to put it into words. It's been rumbling and brewing for this past year...I wait and pray and stay open.  Watching and waiting to see how God may use my gifting and creativity and life for His glory out in the world.  I have been quietly faithful at home for years and sense that God wants to get me out more in the world.  So I remain open and brave...submitted to Him and walking by faith.

Now I just need to head to a shop and buy an "open" sign to hang in my room as a reminder :)

**how did I just now notice that my last post was on Openness?! Crazy.  Obviously the Lord is speaking this to me!**

4 comments:

Courtney said...

I love the thought of the "open" sign. Do it! I picked "wholehearted". Very best wishes to you in 2014.

Sandi said...

I'm eager to see your next posts and what this is going to look like. I have a feeling it's going to be amazing.

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

Thank-you for sharing these things with us, Aimee. I love the way you live life so intentionally.

Jenny said...

I love hearing the stories of how one chooses their word. I saw myself in your comment of being touchy and defensive and closed off. That's why at first I thought my word was supposed to be "available." But instead chose "delight."

I'd like to invite you to link up your word for the year over at Plain Grace www.plaingrace.com