Sunday, September 22, 2013

Autumn Manifesto


As the leaves change and the temperature chills, Autumn's offerings begin.  Our senses are drawn to baking and bonfires, pumpkins and pots of chili, camping and cozy blankets. Jewel-toned mums, football games, walks outside, gathering up pine cones and acorns.

Somehow though our schedules seem to burst at the seams...whether it be church, extracurricular activities, homework or clubs, all pack a social calendar punch this time of year. Conversations are marked by, "I'm so busy!" and trying to live slowly and intentionally with margin is challenging. The waves of activity keep most of us drowning in cultural expectations of "doing".

Let's take autumn back, friends. Make time and plan for the beauty and togetherness this season offers.

And with that, here is my Autumn Manifesto:

                         ~Start my day early and slow with worship and coffee on the front porch


~ Bring simple beauty into my home with pumpkins, gourds, acorns, pine cones, mums and candles. 


      ~ Bake Whole Wheat Olive Oil Pumpkin Bread and deliver loaves to friends and widows.

      ~ Mail friends cards with Starbucks Via Pumpkin Spice tucked inside

      ~ Go apple picking with my children and make applesauce.

                                          

       ~ Walk daily, breathe deeply.

    


       ~ Camp and hike in the SC foothills in October.

       ~ Make a gratitude tree with branches and paper leaves.

                                           

       ~ Build community through offering a monthly Chili potluck for September through November. 

       ~ Fill a book basket in our living room with seasonal picture books.




What's on your list?

7 comments:

kristinwithani said...

It's true for everyone? I thought it was just me. Autumn is my favorite season and yet, I travel a lot and am exhausted. I long for SLOW and enjoying the crisp air.

These are great ideas, Aimee.

Thank you for the reminder.

Anna said...

Great ideas! Can I come live at your house? :)

Sara said...

I love Autumn, and yet I too get so busy I seem to miss out on it. I love your ideas, and I'm thinking I will make a "Fall Fun" list with my kids to see what they would like to do this season.

Stephanie Shepherd said...

Delightful. : ) I made sure not to read your post until I finished mine on the same topic that I was writing for the Jelly Telly blog and it's striking how some of our items are so similiar. We must be autumn kindred spirits. : )

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

Thanks for sharing, Aimee. I usually don't really decorate for any season but Christmas, but I want to decorate for fall, in a simple, seasonal way and with thanks-focus. I just marked a day on my calendar. Maybe we can do it as family...

Bama @ Dolls of an Era said...

My life has always been hectic, but lately I have been determined to simplify it and make it more enjoyable for the entire family. This has meant learning to say "no" a lot. And it's worth it!
I love Fall too, and I start my day the same as you, only on the back porch with iced- coffee or tea.
Happy Fall & Blessings to you!

Katherine@Raising Five said...

Sigh. Wonderful to catch up with you - after what, 2 years? Wait, more than 2, because the baby is 2. What a blessing!