Sunday, November 6, 2011

Healing and Rest

Henry Michael
born October 11, 2011

I have spent the last 3 1/2 weeks bonding with this sweet boy. And oh is he sweet! A quiet and relaxed baby...the right temperament when you are number 6. This pregnancy was so tiring for my body and so I was committed to a full "babymoon"...all rest and seclusion for the first two weeks of life and then a slow and gentle return to normal activities. Giving myself the time to really heal is what I knew I needed to do, and in the past, that has been easier said than done.

This time though I remembered. I remembered how these small seasons are just that: small seasons. In the bigger timeline of life, this postpartum time is just a blink. And so why not use that time well by focusing on the important...bonding with a baby and letting myself renew.

Isn't that true with all hard times? That we need to remember that it's just season? A short season in light of eternity? We need to know that we can endure these times by His grace because it's not the final word.

For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. II Corinthians 4:17

I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. Romans 8:18

Glory is coming. Isn't that a comforting promise?

14 comments:

Sarah said...

Congratulations, Aimee! He's absolutely adorable. Wishing you many sweet hours.

♥ the quiet homemaker said...

Aimee, I'm so delighted for you. He is beautiful. Thank you for such a lovely post. xxx

Julia said...

Very wise Aimee...thank you for your encouraging post (we all need to be reminded of these things from time to time!)

Annemarie said...

congratulations! What a sweet baby boy and what a lovely mama! Gods blessings for you and your family.

shannon said...

Congrats! You are so inspiring with your wonderful, thoughtful posts! Thanks so much for sharing!

Tracy said...

Congratulations to you and your family. This was such a beautiful and timely post. Praying for your sweet time or rest, healing, bonding, and transitioning back into normal daily life.

Rachel Hauser said...

Congratulations, Aimee. I knew you were resting, so I didn't want to pry, but I thought you must have had your sweet new baby by now. So glad you are remembering, and thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

Hill upon Hill said...

Congratulations. What a treat to bond with a newborn.. and for your family to get to know him too.

debbie bailey said...

The newborn stage is SO short and to be savored slowly. There are no guarantees for a woman that each child won't be the last, so every child, whether first born or somewhere else down the line, should be loved on and adored as if they will be the last child.

I'm enjoying every look, snuggle, sniff, hug, and cry of Laurel's twin girls for they truly will be the last from her.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to all of you. Henry is so precious and thank you so much of reminding me of dealing with seasons of hard times. I really needed to be reminded of this. God Bless you all.

Beth said...

Congratulations! He is so precious. I'm so glad you were able to enjoy time resting, recovering and bonding. A blessing indeed.

Susan said...

Yippee! Congratulations, Aimee! You are both so beautiful. And your words, as usual, are deep and encouraging.

Sara said...

So true, although sometimes it is hard to remember this in the deep, dark moments of difficult times. Thanks for the reminder!

onedeepdrawer said...

beautiful baby and beautiful mama!