Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Quieting the Holiday Frenzy


Do you feel it? The tug and the pull to spend more and more? Or the tug and the pull to make, bake, create, decorate? The endless list of things that one could attempt during the month of December is overwhelming.

This is the time to get quiet. To push back the clamoring, cultural noise. To stop searching for the "perfect" traditions. To remove our eyes as to what our neighbor is doing.

And then, listen.

Listen to what the Babe is wanting to give us for Christmas.

He offers Rest.

He gives Grace.

He promises Peace and Life and Joy.

He holds out His hands (scarred and all) to give Love. Unconditional Love.

Oh, it's so easy for me to get heart-sidetracked right now. To get consumed with consumption instead of consumed with Compassion. To buy more instead of give more...

I need to cease striving and get still and listen...

Listen to what the Babe is wanting me to give for Christmas.

I really desire to hear His daily will for me...to look for Jesus in unexpected places...to serve when He prompts...to give presence to others...to keep offering myself...my truest heart... to that sweet Babe in the manger.

Lord, may it be so.

12 comments:

contented sparrow said...

...to give presence to others...to keep offering myself...

yes, yes, yes, aimee

quieting with you,
megan

Natalie said...

Yes, I feel it. Thank you for this post, this reminder to quiet myself to hear from Him.

Kathi @ A Mother's Prayers said...

it's those 'bake, create, and make' homemaking-ish things buzzing around me. I tend to believe that since it's 'home' it's good...

I want to listen for Him too...and then share what I hear with my family.

quiet Christmas...keep reminding, please!

Kathi

♥ Tina said...

Sorry about my deleted post...I made a mess of it, lol!

Your post is beautiful, and so full of peace.

Simple and quiet Christmas is my hope too.

love, Tina xxx

Mary B said...

thank you...a post I needed to read

Bonita said...

Amen! Such a beautiful reminder. All eyes on Him this season.

Adriane said...

This brought tears to my eyes. Definitely a much needed post this morning. Thank you.

tonia said...

for the first time this year we are not decorating for christmas until christmas eve...it is helping me stay focused on the waiting, less on the frenzy.

you're right...the Babe offers rest. thanks be to God.

Anonymous said...

"BLESS YOU & THANK YOU" FOR BEING A "MIRROR" OF JESUS...

Ann Kroeker said...

"Listen."

I wrote today about wanting to see...but I want to hear from the Lord, too.

Hollinger Family said...

Ah yes, it is heart warming to know others seek out the calm amongst the chaos...
being still...and listening...
~Sheri

Anonymous said...

After spending the last three hours pouring over baking recipes, God used your post to be the quiet in my self-created storm. I needed that reminder to practice "Peace be still." Thank you.

Judith