Monday, September 6, 2010

Tweaking Our Dinner Plans


I have really really been enjoying getting into the routine of going to our local organic farmers' market on Saturday mornings. It's such an alive atmosphere and a happy place to be! My visits have caused me to renew my commitment to choose to eat better meats...grass fed beef, organic chicken, pastured pork, and wild caught seafood.

In order for our family to do this, we really need to limit the amount of meat that we eat. "Clean" meats are more expensive yet the quality and health benefits are worth every penny. Each week we will have a menu that allows for meat four times a week and the other three nights will be low-cost vegetarian meals. This is a huge step for us!

Our meat meals:

Two times a week will be beef (1 lb. of ground beef and a 1 1/2 lb top sirloin).
One night a week will be chicken (bone-in breasts and legs or a whole chicken).
One night a week will be seafood (either salmon, tilapia or shrimp).
One package of bacon or sausage for Saturday or Sunday breakfast.

For our vegetarian meals:

One dinner will be a pasta dish. (I have a delicious Penne with Gorgonzola and Tomatoes recipe!)
Another dinner will be a Mexican meal (think black beans, corn, and rice burritos!)
The third will probably be soup or chili since we are heading into fall.

I am really excited about these choices! It is important for my conscience to live in a way that I feel respects creation...whether the beautiful land, seas, or precious animals. Yet I know myself well enough to know that if I don't make a concrete plan, then my goals just fall by the wayside.

I love feeling like I am getting to a more authentic place of living...that my actions are slowly mirroring the ideals of my heart. I want to live with integrity in what I feel is good and right with heavy doses of overflowing grace along the way.

image credit

10 comments:

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

I think eating clean meat is just about the hardest. Not only is it expensive, you have to go out of your way to get it, most of the time. I'm jazzed that my mom offered to get us a 1/4 of a cow (local, natural) for Christmas. Strange present, but oh-so-good!

Bonita said...

I wish my husband would go for a less-meat diet, but for now that isn't on the horizon for us. I wish you well in your new eating habits. They sound wonderful!

Aimee said...

We have wanted to buy 1/2 cow for so long but still don't have a freezer to hold it all...but we'll get there eventually :)

Aimee said...

Bonita, my husband hasn't been willing to go less-meat for YEARS!! He had a total change of heart earlier this summer...I had fixed a meatless meal once a week and he realized that he really enjoyed it and was FILLED (which was his concern!) And then he watched Food, Inc. and that helped motivate him to invest in better meats too...
He was the one who encouraged me to come up with a plan for 3 meatless meals a week!! I never thought in a million years he would get to that point...so things can always change :)

Sarah said...

Sounds like a great plan! I would love it if you would post that Penne recipe.... :)

Charity Singleton said...

Aimee -- I love your commitment, and love that you are giving yourself the grace to grow into living out your ideals. I need to give myself the same grace.

Blessings to you and your family.

Happy Lappy said...

AImee,
I love your ideas. This feels do-able and realistic. I may even implement myself. Do you have thoughts on what you will do for lunches? I would love some of the vegetarian recipes. Yummy!

Mary Beth said...

Great idea Aimee! I find the task of coming up with 3 meals a day for my homeschoolers can become daunting. What kinds of things do you do for lunches?? Thanks

randi---i have to say said...

i love our market too, but there is no one selling meat at ours. too bad because i would love to buy it, even at a higher price since it is healthier.

thanks for the menu tips!

Denise said...

so agree! last week I bought some grass fed beef and nearly broke my bank! I felt so good buying it but for our family of five it is hard. One roast was $25 and it barely was enough. I may need more grace!