Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Home as a B&B: The Kitchen


A Hot Drink Station.

This is a wonderful way to bring the Bed and Breakfast concept into your home. I have a square basket from Ten Thousand Villages that I use to organize a wide variety of teas. A small tea spoon rest, a sugar dish, and mugs are all within easy reach. And my favorite part is my wonderful Oster water kettle. I can get hot water fast and it makes it so lovely that everything one needs for a soothing tea time is all together in one place. To the left (not pictured) is our coffeemaker with a jar of beans already ground and a small basket with unbleached coffee filters.

So instead of just a pattern of randomness on your kitchen counters, set up a cozy hot drink station. Think intentionally as to how to make your kitchen a place where everyone can easily get what they need. I have found that small square baskets and glass jars are very inexpensive kitchen organizational tools and they lend a warm aesthetic.

A hot drink station is an invitation to be soothed and to relax!

And now, friends, I am off to drink my coffee :)

6 comments:

Kika said...

I too have a little station like this, organized in a rustic-looking wooden crate, next to my new best friend, my french press :) The cupboard directly above holds more drink items, kettle, coffee mugs, travel mugs, etc.

kristinwithani said...

And your friends love receiving sweet surprise treats of tea in the mail!
So fun to see your mug tree again. Makes me smile.

Anonymous said...

I love this idea. Thanks for sharing :)

Melonie said...

Love it! A friend of mine once did something similar on a microwave cart, and she added some of those cereal storage things where you turn the wheel and get a serving of cereal and a basket with some fresh fruit. Fun stuff and easier to keep things healthy on the go too. :-)

Tony and Julee Huy said...

Hi! I discovered you blog tonight and fell in love with it. I am also a believer and a mother of 5, soon to be six. My 8 year old daughter caught on the the excitement of the Home as a B&B and helped me set up a tea station in our kitchen tonight.

She is our only girl and she and I had a wonderful time doing this together. Thank you so much for the great ideas, you've inspired us and we can't wait to read more!

We are currently planning our ideas for our porch. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, your blog is inspiring and your tea/coffee corner looks lovely. I may do the same thing when I'll have my own place. Thank you for showing ! Delphine, France.