Friday, April 24, 2009

Saving Library Fines


You know how much I love the library. But I joke that all my money goes to a monthly "library tithe"!! I used to live in a county that allowed library book check-outs for three weeks...our current county system is two weeks, and I somehow have never made the transition. So dollars upon dollars are given to the library...which I think is a noble cause...but still.

So now I have found Library Elf. It's an email reminder service for all of your library books...when items are about to be due, the status of your holds, etc. You can set your own settings as to when you want to receive email reminders and see what books need renewal or to be returned. I think it will save my life.

And that'll put some extra change in my pocket...because I'd rather spend that money on other stuff right now...like fabric, a new baby boy, and uh, books!

photo by brutebeaute

10 comments:

Marianna said...

I use Library Elf and still end up giving far too much money to the library! The system in Indiana allowed unlimited renewals, and here they only allow one, which honestly makes more sense, but it does casue some overdue fines.

Aimee said...

My sister swears by it...she says her fines have DRASTICALLY reduced and so I hope for the same! We'll see!

Kierkalee said...

I love your blog, I get so many ideas from it so I thought I'd share a give away opportunity that's happening over at Daisy's blog at
daisyhomeschoolblogspot.com/2009/04/giveaway.html. She's giving about $20 worth of handsewn items.

Kat said...

WOW! My library lets you check out books for 3 weeks at a time (2 weeks for movies), but you can renew them TWISE and there are no library fees! Ever! Plus, after you book is late, you still have another 30 days where you can keep the book and it's just "overdue". On the 31st day, the library system's computer is suppose to not let you check out books until you return the late one. Then eventually it goes to collections. I must be lucky with my system!!!!!!

Ann said...

Yahoo at last a way to avoid the fines - it even works in Scotland. Thanks for the tip

Anonymous said...

Do you have a teachers library card? It is really easy to get, show proof that you are homeschooling - (your letter stating that you have been "approved") and you can have things out for six weeks at a time, but not to worry as even if you don't get them back on time - NO FEES!!!

Claire said...

Wow - where was this when I needed it? My family says that my fines paid for an entire wing of the New York City Library!!!

Lelia said...

Great idea, never heard of it, but will try it. . . I just forked out a few more dollars to our library yesterday for overdue DVDs, which always kills me!!

STEPHANIE. said...

hummm. never heard of the library elf, I like it!..and yes I would much rather be spending money on fabric too, its an addiction. :)...when are you due? how are you feeling?

Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

Wonderful!
Thank you, Aimmee... for all you do in this lovely space...