Goodness, there just seems to be so much sickness going around!! It always makes me wish I used the seasons when we are healthy to learn more about natural, herbal, or homeopathic remedies. It seems that if you aren't prepared with knowledge BEFORE sickness strikes, then you are in a reactive mode that grabs the first over-the-counter medicine from your cabinet that promises any kind of relief.
As wise mamas, a bit of natural-nursing knowledge would be a good idea to investigate and learn during times of wellness... and when we have good knowledge, we feel very empowered as mothers. Nurturing and mothering are particularly delightful when we have a sense of how to do something ourselves instead of looking helplessly to the first person who will give us any kind of reasonable-sounding answer!
There is a wealth of practical knowledge out there for us mamas to glean from...websites, blogs, library books, magazine articles, Holistic Moms Network. We just need to be a bit more intentional to search those resources out. I speak to myself here. When times are good, I don't particularly feel the need to go learn about healing bruises, cold remedies, or how to deal with a child's fever...in fact, I don't want to even think about those things! But we all know that sickness is inevitable (especially around February!) even if we are taking proactive, preventative measures by healthy diets and supplements.
Here are a few items that I keep on hand in my personal medicine-arsenal...this is a simple list because I am just beginning my journey to learn more. I just ordered these books to give me a better understanding of herbs, and I really would love to order this book soon because it seems very practical, balanced, and written from a Christian perspective. I have had an interest in aromatherapy for a while and can't wait to explore that further too!
- Burt's Bees Res-Q Ointment. This stuff is awesome. Any time my children (or I!) have bumps, bruises, scrapes, bites, etc., I reach for this. It is so healing and soothing.
- Hyland's Homeopathics. I have bought many of their products from our local pharmacy and have had total success. I would love to buy this "remedy chest" so that I have everything I could possibly need in one place! I always took Ibuprofen or Tylenol for menstrual cramp relief, but using Hyland's Menstrual Cramp formula has worked great!
- Wally's Ear Oil. Anytime I sense the children have an earache (or even if the dog keeps scratching at her ears!), they get a drop or two of this ear oil. It brings instant relief and heals so well! If you do an internet search of this product, you will read many glowing reviews.
- Emergen-C. I drink one packet of this daily and my husband Mike recently starting drinking 2 packets a day when a bad cold started coming on. Within 2 days, Mike felt totally better. I hear over and over again that it really helps knock colds in half, and if you drink it daily, then you may not get the cold to begin with! You can find it at your local grocery store.
- Lemon Juice/Water. I continually hear (and have experienced!) how this simple drink can stop a migraine or even nausea associated with morning sickness. It also helps digestive problems, skin problems, and allergies.
Enchanted Garlic Syrup (from A Kid's Herb Book)
1/2 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 cup water
5 large cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated or 1/4 tsp. powdered
1/2 cup honey
Dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
Mix thoroughly in a blender. Take 1 tsp. every two hours as needed. Lasts in frig for one week.
**This syrup is good for stubborn coughs, bronchitis, pneumonia, mucus and lung congestion due to a cold.**
5 drops lavender oil
2 drops peppermint oil
Organic olive or almond oil.
Mix peppermint and lavender in your palm with the olive or almond oil and then apply to the sinus areas of the face, neck, and forehead to help with most allergy symptoms. This is also a wonderful blend for reducing a fever. It may also be applied to the feet and the back of the neck.
Please do share your natural, herbal, or homeopathic remedy in the comments! We all need to learn from each other and help each other by sharing great resources and our unique experiences with products or homemade recipes or trial/error!
Here's to being an empowered mama-nurse to our dear little ones!
Happy Health and Healing! :)