Monday, December 29, 2008

Order and Inspiration


We have had a lovely Christmas week filled with thoughtful gifts, family game nights, movies, rest and relaxation....but yesterday my mother (who is visiting from Missouri) helped me get everything back into place and brought order again to my living areas. And now I can breathe again. The natural pressures that come with the holidays left me especially tired this year with so much nausea and pregnancy fatigue, but now with order and the familiar, I feel invigorated again.

I look forward to a January filled with re-ordering my closets, decluttering clothing, and making the routines of a family of six run more smoothly. Bring orderliness from chaos brings me such pleasure, and I have noticed that we all take a collective happy sigh when the home is organized. From order springs the ability for greater inspiration and creativity...I find that when my nest is in too much disarray, the creative processes seem stunted and thwarted (where is my ____?). Even since getting our common living spaces back to normal in the last 24 hours, my mind has begun spinning with ideas for knitting, sewing, decorating, and other domestic pleasures. Find order and you find greater creativity.


To find inspiration for greater creativity, I love reading good magazines and books. These books found their way under the tree for me, and I have spent most of today indulging myself in The Gentle Art of Domesticity. A few mornings ago I sipped hot tea in bed for an hour while also drinking in the simple beauty of the photos in A Year of Mornings which then led me to snap my own morning photos of my little life. An English muffin with strawberry jelly. Utensils in the sink. Favorite Christmas gifts received. The encouragement to really notice is what strikes me the most from this book...to have eyes to see the lines and colors and beauty in the everyday.

Here's to finding order and inspiration as we pack away the old and enjoy the newness that comes with a fresh year. A clean slate. A new start with our homes...to make them more useful and beautiful. A renewed inner place of inspired creativity and a greater appreciation for the domestic arts...the simple daily touches that we as women do that transform our houses into inviting homes, restful havens, and nurturing nests.

8 comments:

kelli said...

Beautiful, and oh so true! I have spent the day trying to bring order and normalcy back to our home. I'm almost there, and I can feel that sigh of relief coming:)

Love your pictures!!

Hope your nausea is almost done...soon, soon, soon!!!!

May you continue to be at peace as you enjoy the beauty and order of your home tonight;)

Katrina said...

I'm totally feeling this, too! I'm so excited for the new year and fresh start as well. : )

Pink Dogwood said...

Oh - order. If only! I was just thinking today about how wonderful life will be when the grandparents go home and our routines are back in place. I never realized I loved such structure and regularity until everything was in such disarray!

Prairie Chick said...

WE had such a wonderfully calm Christmas too, just home for 10 days without seeing anyone or doing anything! This was not the plan, but we got sick and it's just how it worked out. It was pure bliss. Now we have parties 3 nights in a row and I am not quite sure how to handle it! I am very much looking forward to the new year and structure and order that are beautiful things in my life!

Jennifer said...

I love the feeling of "starting anew." Happy 2009!

shepherdsgrace said...

It is true...we put our house back in order over the weekend and are continuing our break from school by doing some much needed spring cleaning....and my house is beginning to feel like a clean sheet washed and hung on the line to dry...crisp and fresh....

mmmmm....good things,
Sarah

Hill upon Hill said...

I love reordering things too, the start of a new year, refreshment after holidays and seeing things through new eyes. I am thankful for cycles that bring change, climax, clearing and clarity.

Bethgem said...

I have got to get that Brocket book. Congratulations on your happy news!