Thursday, September 4, 2008

School Anywhere

With my oldest son Sam at home with me this year, we are having a delightful time revisiting the joys of relaxed homeschooling. We spend a lot of time talking to each other and I answer lots of his insatiable curious questionings. We read lots of books...he picks some and I pick some for him. We discuss them. He is doing a math review worksheet a day for a few weeks before we pick up some new concepts. I have him trace and draw and pick his favorite wild animal and go research it online. That's his favorite thing to do...to find out the habitats, diets, appearances, and adaptations of wild animals and then make a folded book out of his findings.

But the best thing that we have done this year (and it also happens to be the cheapest school purchase!!) has been our trip to the Dollar Tree for a few simple clipboards. It's revolutionized my son's day! Instead of taking that math sheet and having to sit at the table, he puts it in his clipboard and heads outside. When I have him write letters to relatives or write me a summary of what he has read, I tell him, "Just put it in your clipboard and go find a favorite spot!" He immediately perks up and heads out. He sits on his bed, the couch, the front porch rocker, the hammock and probably some other spots that I have no idea about.

And that's what I love about homeschooling...the flexibility and the adaptability for kids who need lots of breaks, fresh environments, and alternate ways of learning new things. Who knew that our days of learning would flow smoothly and be energized with just the simple addition of a clipboard?!


photo by hownowdesign

7 comments:

laurel said...

Thanks for this tip! It is amazing how such small, simple things can have the biggest impact on our day! I am definitely filing this in my head for later! Thanks Aimee!

Wendi said...

yay! for flexibility! I love that and will certainly be passing out clipboards to my little pupils ;-) can't remember how I found your blog, but I love to read what you're learning - especially liked your entries about your sabatical.

Julie said...

That's a good idea! We just bought a hammock this year but found it uncomfortable to work in. This would be the answer - if it ever stops raining!

Carrie said...

Clip boards are wonderful! We have one that I found where you can store paper inside. It's really neat, and our boy's most favorite thing.

I MUST remember that its mobile!! (thanks for reminding me just how wonderful we homeschoolers have it.)

Domestic Accident said...

Brilliant. I might have to try that.

Clair said...

Clipboards make my students happy too.

Lelia said...

Love this idea. ..can just picture sweet Sam sitting up in the fort in your backyard working on his math. What a relief for him!