Friday, August 8, 2008

Two Favorite Marinades


We have used these two recipes so many times over the years and have yet to meet anyone who doesn't love them as well! Perfect for freezer cooking.

Asian Grilled Salmon

1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup orange juice
1/4 cup honey

Marinate for 1-4 hours and grill.

I found great deals at Aldi on frozen salmon and always keep my eye out for it going on sale in regular grocery stores. Target actually carries frozen salmon now too and it's great.

Flank Steak Marinade

1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. minced garlic (I just press one clove)
1 1/3 lbs. flank steak

Marinate and grill. Slice thinly.
I also use this marinade with London Broil and also with boneless top sirloin steaks.

I keep my pantry stocked with all the basics for making great marinades:

Oils: Olive oil and safflower oil
Vinegars: Balsamic, Red Wine, White Wine, Rice Wine, and Apple Cider
Spices: Garlic, ginger, salt, pepper, sugar, Dijon and yellow mustard...and I also use a lot of chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper in rubs
Miscellaneous: Soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, honey, lemons and limes

With these ingredients on hand you are always able to put together a delicious salad dressing or marinade in just about two minutes. Another great resource for good marinades for freezer cooking is here...they are delicious and inexpensive recipes...a great investment!



photo by ionracas

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your idea on freezing in marinades. How exactly do you do that and how do you defrost?

AIMEE said...

I put a gallon Ziploc bag inside of a bowl to keep it upright...then I just dump in the marinade ingredients...squeeze to mix it up...and then add the meat...squeeze. Close bag making sure to get out all the air...then lay flat in the freezer. Thaw by taking it out of the freezer the evening before you need it and put it in the frig.

The Mangerchine's said...

sounds delicious!

Clair said...

They sound good...though I rarely marinade since I don't eat much meat.