Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Simple Body Care


Now I haven't tried many simple, homemade recipes for body care, but I am definitely intrigued. The thought of not putting chemicals on my body is certainly motivating. The thought of saving money on bunches of beauty products is definitely motivating. And any opportunity that I can find to reduce my environmental impact by not buying more plastic bottles of stuff is clearly motivating. Not to mention the aesthetic and creative pleasures of making something all by yourself for yourself. That's empowering and cool.

Can you imagine never using shampoo again? Apparently there is a "no 'poo" movement that is growing, and the participants promise that their hair is healthier, shinier, and more beautiful that ever. Here are two links for you to read how to try it for yourself. You simply start using only baking soda on your scalp and some apple cider vinegar on your ends. Another article suggests just using a washcloth on your wet hair to wipe the oil from the scalp down to the ends...100 strokes on both sides of your head. I definitely want to try these methods and get free of the shampoo chains....I swore off conditioner a few years ago along with all those fancy shower gels and lotions. I am just using a bottle of Aubrey Organics shampoo and a bar of locally made soap when I shower...and then I use Dr. Bronner's and Sun Dog's Magic Organic Lotion.

I also found a another website today with recipes for making your own deodorant and toothpaste! I have tried every natural deodorant on the market (not really, but it feels that way :), and I would just love to begin making my own. There is something so nurturing and real about making homemade concoctions for your family. After recently using Jason's brand of deodorant (in which I ended up smelling WORSE than usual) and also giving up on my deodorant stone, I started using this and it's worked the best of anything "natural" to prevent stinkage. Since that recipe calls for baking soda (which is the basis for the one I use), I might as well give it a go. And I am tired of spending about $6 for a tube of Tom's toothpaste so this will definitely be a money-saver for me as prices seem to keep going up and up.

So although my products of choice already seem pretty basic to me, making-my-own seems like a fun experiment...and I am always up for an adventure no matter how small it may be :).

What simple body-care products do you use? Any recipes of your own to share?


photo courtesy of Flickr

8 comments:

laurel said...

This is pretty much uncharted territory for me. It seems that simple living comes in layers (kind of like decluttering and sanctification!)...I started with recycling, then moved on to not buying prepackaged things, on to cloth diapering, to making my own laundry detergent, etc. I think all at once, it would be overwhelming. I am just beginning to venture into homemade body products. I am looking forward to perusing your links. Right now, Burt's Bees and Tom's of Maine are the most natural products I have, other than some homemade soap my friend made. I am ready to venture out though. Please keep us posted on how it goes for you!

AIMEE said...

Yes, layers!! Girl I have never made my our laundry detergent...sounds hard and scary to me...that'll be my adventure for this fall :) Do tell me your recipe for that.

The Mangerchine's said...

I've been doing research on the "no poo" and am anxious to try it as soon as I finish my current oversized bottles of shampoo and conditioner. I've also been looking into making my own homemade cleaning products for around the house and anxious to do that as soon as my current bottles run out... and yes, please share the laundry detergent recipe!

Lelia said...

Tim would probably think I was seriously OFF MY ROCKER if I told him I was going to start making our toothpaste!! But it is intriguing. . .seriously, let me know how it works. I don't think I can venture to the "no shampoo" thing though. . .I only wash mine every 3-4 days as it is, but when it needs it, it really needs it! Plus I like the smell. . .I know, I know, the smells aren't so good for you, but a girl's gotta have some indulgences! :)

Susan L said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan L said...

This is great! I want to try Aubrey stuff. I read it about it first at Sara's (Walk Slowly...) and now here.

For my face, I was using Kiss My Face olive oil castile soap because I read on a webpage once that it was rated the purest of all. Lately I've been using only water because I don't use makeup (nothing to wash off). I'm doing an experiment to see if I can stop using lotion on my face, too. I live in a really arid place, though, so I don't know if I can do it. If I use face lotion, I use Weleda (the Iris one). I was using a Mychelle all-natural AHA mask thing, but it's expensive! I'm seeing if I can do without... Some people do a raw milk mask or use apple cider vinegar dilute with water for an AHA treatment. I've done that, but my skin was too sensitive.

Eating really well (*lots* of produce, green lemonade, etc.) and taking cod liver oil seem to have greatly improved my skin, which was never troubled skin to begin with.

Makeup. Lipstick only. Gabriel brand. I do like lipstick! Sometimes I use mascara.

Hair? Giovanni brand. I want to try some of the brands Renee Loux recommends in her "green living" book.

Body. No deodorant. For some reason, I'm one of those people who really doesn't need it. My lotion is Jason cocoa butter something or other.

I use a dry brush.

Toothpaste. Some kind of Jason-brand toothepaste. And Tom's of Main floss.

I like what you and Laurel said about layers...

I also want to make my own laundry soap.

Fun post, Aimee!
Susan

Maggie said...

Hey there! I have been lurking on your's and Susan's blogs. Hope you don't mind!

I have very very dry skin. I was the girl with ashy skin in school that everyone made fun of. But I heard somewhere that scrubbing your skin with hot water using a washcloth or something similar really awakens your skin. So I started doing it last week and I haven't had to use my lotion nearly as much. Probably every 2 days or so. I am thinking one day I won't have to at all. I do scrub my skin with Dr. Bronner's. I haven't tried using hot hot water yet which is what was recommended.

Also I normally use coco butter lotion when I do use it and I have started mixing it with baking soda and using it as deodorant. It works great and even right away. Usually natural deodorants cause you to smell worse at first because there is a detox period of about a week.

sara said...

Well, I tried the no poo and my hair feels pretty ick, but I think I need to go back and read your links again and see if I can glean some insight. I normally only wash my hair 2 times per week, so I wonder how long my hair will take to adapt. I started the no poo on my son who is only two right away because his hair has the least shampoo addiction of any of us. His hair had a noticable difference and looks really great and full of body. This gave me the inspiration to try for myself.
For deoderant, a woman I met raves about a product called funk butter. i am sure you can find it on a google search. I would like to try it after I finish my bottle of weleda.
A lot of time I just use apricot kernel oil for moisturizer, but sometimes I make a lotion out of the book Women's book for herbal healing by rose mary gladstar. It's called rosemary's famous face cream and its really thick and luxurious.
I have been washing my face with a mix of castor oil and organic extra virgin olive oil. I really love that. Sometimes I do an herbal facial steam with a honey mask.
I used to make tooth paste with sea salt, baking soda, and peppermint oil, but we got away from that.
My most natural thing I do is not shave. I wish more women would come around to it. It is so liberating.
Oh, I also dry skin brush and I agree with eating lots of raw foods. That has made a world of difference for me!