Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Think Globally, Act Locally





















Ten Thousand Villages is an inviting shop filled with beautiful handmade goods from around the world. They support fair trade and when you make a purchase you are helping to support Third-World families and communities. Instead of buying an upcoming gift for someone at your local big-box retailer, use the store locator to find one of these shops near you and buy something culturally interesting, one-of-a-kind, and reflective of personal creativity.

It is certainly easier to live our lives with blinders on or busy or without intention. But if we take the time to open our eyes, slow down, and think about the people of the world, our view of God and His heart expands, our service and love recreates, and our momentary trials do not seem as looming and dooming. Even checking out books from the library like Material World and Women in the Material World have made me realize all that I have been given and all that I want to give.

In our local living, we may actually be able to make a difference. Who knows if just by opening my eyes and responding with my heart I am able to affect the life of another dear mama across the world. Lord, may it be so.

5 comments:

Randi said...

I love to buy Fair Trade. It feels good to know that my money is going to help someone else earn a decent living.

Apparently we have one of the stores in Denver so I will check it out next time we are there! My daughter will be excited to go there too!

Charity Singleton said...

So good to be reminded how each of our simple acts can affect those nearby and far off.

Anonymous said...

I love Fair Trade. They had it here a coupla years ago and I so wanted to buy Christmas but we were trying to get in our house, then last year when we were, they were'nt. I hated that - maybe this one

Miriam said...

Aimee! Thanks for sharing about this...I just used the store locator and found that there's a shop here in my hometown. Can't wait to go check it out!

I found your site via Andrea's and have enjoyed visiting and reading your thoughts here for some time. Simple living - such a praiseworthy subject!

L.L. Barkat said...

More intriguing books. I wish you lived closer and could be part of our social issues reading club! Ah, well.