Monday, February 12, 2007

Simple Faith


Matthew 22:37-39 Amp
"And He replied to him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment.
And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
These two commandments sum up and upon them depend all the Law and the Prophets"

If you are like me you may make your daily walk too difficult. Simplify your faith! The Lord Jesus calls us simply to love Him and love others. Evaluate all that you do during the day in light of this. Is this attitude, thought or action loving Jesus? Is it loving to my husband? To my children? To my friends? To my enemies?

John 15:5 Amp
"I am the Vine; you are the branches. Whoever lives in Me and I in him bears much fruit. However, apart from Me (cut off from vital union with Me) you can do nothing"

This verse is so encouraging because we must realize that we cannot, absolutely not, love God or love others apart from His enabling grace. That which He call us to do (to love!), He also equips us for by His grace and power. So if you feel that you cannot possibly love God or those around you, you are right! You cannot! Just look to Him for the grace to do that which is impossible in ourselves.

Philippians 2:13 Amp
(Not in your own strength) for it is God Who is all the while effectually at work in you (energizing and creating in you the power and desire) both to will and to work for His good pleasure and satisfaction and delight.

No matter how we may feel in our walk with Him, He desires that we walk by faith.
"God, I don't feel like loving. I don't feel particularly drawn towards You or others. But Your Word tells me to and Your Word tells me that You will give me the power to do Your will. I look to you by faith!" And then we continue to walk through our day trusting Him to do in us and through us that which we cannot. What freedom! What grace! What ease!

Simply come to Him!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Aimee,
I loved your wonderful blog. How I love the abiding life of Christ! These were just the very verses I needed for today. Thanks
Maxine

L.L. Barkat said...

Is it loving? Yes, a simple question. But, oh, how hard it is for us sometimes to answer it honestly.